Reporting line: Development director
Commitment: Full-time role
Salary: Competitive package dependant on experience, including Pension
Employer: Ionix Advanced Technologies Ltd
Location: Huddersfield, UK
Ionix Advanced Technologies specialises in high performance, extreme environment piezoelectric devices and materials, offering a range of sensors, actuators and transducer devices based on its novel piezoelectric materials, with applications in areas such as non-destructive testing/evaluation (NDT/E) condition monitoring and flow measurement in demanding environments.
Piezoelectric materials are used in a vast and rapidly expanding range of actuators and sensors. They are the irreplaceable heart of systems such as medical ultrasound imaging, non-destructive testing (NDT), energy harvesting and SONAR comprising a $15bn annual market. Ionix has developed novel range of high temperature piezoelectric materials, which can operate in extreme environments in excess of 500 °C and with which opens the opportunity to a whole host of new high temperature sensing technologies.
Ionix is currently looking for an Ultrasonic Device Development Engineer who will be a key contributor to a developing design and production team, responsible for devising and implementing new extreme environment piezoelectric transducers. You will work closely with Materials and Electro-mechanical Engineers and Technical / Operational Directors to drive the development of client demands in to prototypes that will see service in Aerospace, Automotive, Nuclear, Manufacturing, Plant, Process Control and Oil & Gas sectors.
Able to demonstrate relevant experience in research/design, assembly, testing, production or manufacturing, you should have an ability to work to deadlines with a flexible approach to the varied tasks required of the role.
Applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK.
- Design, apply and test ultrasonic devices (sensors, transducers) and concepts for demanding environment applications, with a thorough understanding of and experience in ultrasonic transducer physics, assembly – including electronic matching network – interconnects and packaging.
- Ability to contribute to modelling and simulating acoustic/piezoelectric devices, for example, using Matlab, beam tracing tools, and/or FEA.
- Contribute to electronic tools strategy.
- Deploy knowledge of manufacturing techniques, assembly, and applicability to designs.
- Contribute to guiding a developing team in construction of ultrasonic tools.
- Project management of client facing and internal projects
- Communicate with suppliers to resolve issues and ensure product requirements are met.
- Responsible and accountable for carrying out the requirements and contributing to the development and maintenance of the company’s quality assurance and health and safety requirements.
- Contribute to schedules for hardware and software activities.
- Work closely with the technical and business team, to achieve the collective commercial goals of the company.
- At least a Master’s degree in Science or Engineering, or at least 3 years equivalent experience in research, design, production or manufacturing.
- Expertise in ultrasound physics, signal processing, transducer design, modelling, assembly and testing. Including experience in any of the following fields;
- Materials selection – backing, wear plate, coupling, etc.
- Electrical matching and interconnects, packaging.
- CAD design and beam tracing and/or FEA – particularly in ultrasound / NDT.
- Hands-on experience of transducer construction.
- Experience in transducer testing,processing and interpretation of data.
- Demonstrable capability to achieve goals with a collaborative and partnership-oriented approach.
- Ability to manage own time and meet deadline.
- Track record in managing and delivering client and internal projects.
- Potential to contribute to new device ideas through proven analytical thinking.
- Sufficient technical expertise to fully grasp, and articulate clearly to others, the technical advantages of the Ionix components and materials.
- Flexible, and able to work in a small team as well as independently, in a dynamic small-company environment with minimal direction.
- Proven knowledge of electric and electronic devices, circuits and theory.
- Skilled at one or more programming language (C++, Matlab, LabVIEW etc).
- Proven skills in data management and presentation.
- Demonstrable desire to contribute to hands-on approach to device assembly, test and evaluation.
- 5 + years relevant industry experience or PhD in an ultrasonics discipline.
- Experience in SME technical teams.
- Track record of development of leading edge products and/or publications and patents.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Experience in product development from conception to release.
- Experience in signal processing, software engineering.
- Experience in high temperature / high pressure devices.
- Experience of device design to intrinsic safety or flameproofing standards.
- Experience in working within an ISO 9001 accredited or other regulated industry environment or equivalent.
- UT PCN Level qualifications I through III or equivalent UT inspection experience.
Applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK. To apply, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title as the subject of the email.